Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Rave Run

When: January 21, 2011
Where: Little Blue Trace Trail

Today I had the toughest run I think I ever had, but it was probably the most fun and peaceful. It was 15.5 miles on an easy trail, the catch, it was covered with about a foot of snow. Needless to say my pace really suffered, but I didn't care. The beauty of the scenery just took all my worries away. I did run with my mp3 player, but I had it turned so low that when the birds sang/chirped I wouldn't hear the music.

The crunch of the snow underfoot, sun lightly covered by clouds, bald eagles and red-tailed hawks and flocks of Canada geese flying around just made the run even better.

Once I reached mile 5, there were no more footprints in the snow. I couldn't tell where the trail was and learned a valuable lesson; when a trail is hidden by snow, it's not always best to follow rabbit tracks. :)

My knee made it the whole way without complaining, but my hamstrings and quads started whispering by mile 10. By mile 13, they were definitely getting my attention.

I ended up getting my second wind when one of my guilty pleasure songs came on, "Word Up" by Cameo. This version is better though.

After that song my pace picked up again. The remaining 2.5 miles went by quickly and before I knew it I was back at my Jeep.

Now as promised, the pics:

Mile 1:


Start of the trail. It's obvious the sidewalk was cleaned once.




Scenery off to the right of the trail.


Heading into some tree cover.


Fallen trees across the river.

Mile 2:








The picture doesn't capture, but I love the look of the tree in the foreground.

Mile 3:


Scenery to the left of the trail.

Mile 4:


The river to the right of the trail.

Mile 5:





Showing the depth of the snow.



Mile 6:






Bald eagles





Mile 7:













Mile 8:



Mile 9:









Mile 10:









Mile 11:



Mile 14:









Shoes back at the Jeep.

I hope nobody minded all the pictures.

Eric

2 comments:

  1. great pics! So serene and calming! I've started to run with no much and its amazing how views like this makes music unnecessary. Yesterday I found myself just counting footsteps..weird right?! yeah..when there are no more footsteps to follow it gets mighty interesting! awesome job and stretch out those tight spots.

    ReplyDelete